Skip to main content

How long can I use my driving licence issued in a non-European country in Spain?

By January 10, 2020September 11th, 2021No Comments

Six months from when you acquire the right of residence in Spain. In the meantime you have two options;

– If there is a swap agreement between your country and Spain, you must make an appointment in the nearest Traffic Office.

– If there is not, you should sign up in a Driving School and get your Spanish Driving Licence.

Don´t worry if you don´t speak Spanish, the theory test can be done in English, German or French. The practical exam is always in Spanish, so in this case, you will have to learn the basic vocabulary for the exam; turn left/right, go straight ahead or make a U-turn etc

Conducting the exchange requires prior verification of equivalence and authenticity of driving licences to your home country, subject the exchange to the validity of your permission is confirmed by the authorities of the country that you have issued. That’s why many times the deadlines are extended.

We always advice making a notarised photocopy of the driving licence in case you must leave the original in the Traffic Office. This will allow you to drive through the UE. Notarised photocopies are recognised throughout the European Union.

On this link you have all the information to carry out the process;…/canje-permisos-con-co…/index.shtml

As a holidaymaker, you can use your licence together with the IDP (International Driving Permit). This could be one of the possibilities if finally Brexit is applied.

Source:- n332