Skip to main content

Do I need to change my driving licence for a Spanish one?

By February 18, 2015September 11th, 2021No Comments

Do I need to exchange the driving licence of my country of origin for a Spanish one?

This is a very topical question amongst expats following a change in the rules which became effective on 19 January 2015.

Our understanding of the new rules is as follows.

Is the answer ‘yes’ to all of the following four questions?

a) Are you from an EU country other than Spain?
b) Do you drive using a licence issued by an EU country other than Spain?
c) Are you a legal resident of Spain?
d) Have you had Spanish residency for more than 2 years?

If the answer is ‘yes’ to all the above and you have any of the type of licences described below then you need to obtain a Spanish driving licence.

a) A driving licence without expiry date
b) A driving licence with an expiry date more than 15 years hence for Group 1 (AM, A1, A2, A, B & BE)
c) A driving licence with an expiry date more than 5 years hence for Group 2 (BTP, C1, C1E, C, CE D1, D1E, D or E)
d) A driving licence which has already expired or is close to expiration date

The fine for failing to comply with the new rules is 200€

This information is detailed on the DGT website here 

You can make an appointment online here 

And download the form here